I've been reading many posts on Twitter and Facebook from new winners, wondering what to expect and what the benefits are of attending the #SBS Event, so I thought I would share my TOP 5 TIPS on how to prepare to make it work in your favour as a successful networking event.
1. BRING A FRIEND or partner if you are slightly nervous or shy. This will help you feel more comfortable and not so alone, in a massive room with a LOT of attendee's. If you are more of an introvert, this will help boost the extrovert in you, in meeting and networking effectively with other winners.
2. DRESS COMFORTABLY (it's a long day!), but also dress to impress! You are representing your business and it is a networking event. You want to stand out of the crowd and make a memorable impression.
3. BRING BUSINESS CARDS / PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL. Even if you are not approaching Rymans / Robert Dyas or taking part in 'meet the client' you ARE meeting fellow small business owners, who may very well need, or want your services. Be prepared!
4. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Do a search here on the #SBS site of any businesses and services that might be of interest or of use to you. Tweet or email them in advance and make contact. Ask if they are attending, and exchange contact details to be able to find eachother on the day! Opportunities are there – don't waste time. Ascertain, contact and meet your target audience / collaborators.
5. LOOK AFTER YOUR VOICE: buy my eBook "Singing, Vocal and Performance Tips" a bullet point, 'go to' pocket guide, of how to look after and use your voice. It is only £2.02 and the perfect investment for exactly these types of scenario's. You will be talking A LOT, in a crowded and noisey space. And you might even take to the mic to ask Theo and the panel questions after their talk. Make sure you don't loose your voice, and that you use it to your advantage. You don't want to sound shakey and flakey, now do you?!
Very much looking forward to meeting new winners, and having won back in 2011, to catching up with, what are now trusted colleagues, and 'old friends'!
See you there.